Primary and secondary proof of identification to apply for a US passport

Proof of Identity

You will need to show proof of identification to apply for a US passport. Even if you already have been issued a passport, you will still need to show a second form of identification so the government will know they are issuing the passport to the right person.

Primary Identification

Your primary proof of identity for passport applications should be valid and issued more than six months ago. Acceptable proof of identity for passport issuance include:

  • State-issued driver’s license
  • Official identification card with photo issued by a state, municipality, or Federally recognized Native American tribe
  • Military ID card with photo
  • Permanent Resident Card (“green card”)

Secondary Identification

If you do not have any of the documents for primary proof of identification listed above, or if your primary ID is expired or was issued less than six months ago, you will also need to submit 5 secondary proof of identification documents. You can submit any combination of the secondary proof of identification items listed below, although documents that show a photograph as well as your full name are preferred.

  • State-issued driver’s license (expired, new, or suspended)
  • Social Security Card
  • Passport (expired passport, including passports issued by foreign countries)
  • Student ID card with photo
  • Welfare card
  • Health insurance or Medicare card
  • Voter ID card
  • Employment ID card
  • Professional license (such as nurse, beautician, mechanic, etc.)
  • Flight Crew ID card
  • Union membership card
  • Military records
  • Selective Service registration
  • Diploma or school transcript
  • School yearbook with name and photo
  • Marriage certificate or divorce decree
  • Your child’s birth certificate showing your name as parent
  • Baptismal certificate or other religious record
  • Copy of your mortgage, lease, or rental agreement
  • Copies of banking or credit card records for the past year (account numbers may be blacked out for privacy)
  • Vehicle registration, title, or proof of car insurance
  • Copies of utility bills for the past year
  • Income tax records or W-2 (more than one year’s worth)
  • Newspaper articles or publicity items with your name and photo


PASSPORTINFO.COM is not operated, maintained by, or affiliated with any passport offices or government agencies. It is a privately operated website portal for informational purposes only.