Lost Passport

If you have upcoming travel and you can’t find your passport anywhere, you can get your lost passport replaced.

The first thing to do is to make sure your passport is truly lost and not just misplaced. If you begin the process of replacing your lost passport and then find it, it will have already been cancelled by the US State Department and will not be valid for travel.

Our guide will show you how to replace a lost passport, including all requirements for getting a lost passport replaced.

You will be eligible to replace your lost passport if you can prove your US citizenship. It is very helpful, but not required, to know the passport number and dates of issuance and expiry of the passport you lost. (This is why we always recommend you keep a photocopy of your passport somewhere safe!)

Gather all documents required for lost passport replacement.

Did You Know?

You can get your passport replaced in as little as one week with expedited service!
Expedited Service
  • Proof of US Citizenship – This can be either a birth certificate (original or certified copy) or an expired passport. If you submit an expired passport, your appearance must still be similar to the way you appear in the passport photo on the old passport.
  • DS-11 Application Form , completed offline or can be filled out online at PPTForm and printed.
  • Passport Form DS-64, “Statement regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport.” This will be automatically created as you fill out your passport application on PPTForm. If you are filling out your forms by hand, you will need to fill out this form separately.
  • One passport photo
  • Photocopy of your driver’s license or other state-issued ID (front and back)
  • Flight itinerary or other proof of travel plans (only required if you need to expedited service for lost passport replacement)
  • Lost passport replacement fee (will be paid at the Passport Acceptance Agent, see below). You will need two checks, one made payable to “US Department of State” for $130 ($190 if you need expedited service for lost passport replacement) and a second check for $35 for the Passport Acceptance Agent fee.
  • As of December 27th, 2021 Passport Fees have gone up. Please see our updated content on how much a passport costs for the most up-to-date information.

Passport Acceptance Agent

Visit a Passport Acceptance Agent, where your application will be reviewed and then sealed into an official envelope. These Agents can be found at the main branch or your local US Post Offices and at Clerk of the Court offices. To find a nearby location, visit //passportinfo.com/passport-offices/. Some agents may require you to make an appointment.

Have your passport application processed in one of three ways:

  1. By Mail – Your sealed envelope will be sent by the Passport Acceptance Agent to be processed at the National Passport Center.
  2. At a Passport Agency – For faster service, you can visit a US Passport Agency to have your lost passport replacement processed on site. There are 26 Passport Agencies in cities across the US, and you’ll need to make an appointment in advance for service.
  3. By a Passport Expediting Company – Need to get your lost passport replaced fast? You can have your passport replaced by a reputable passport expediting company. They will hand-carry the sealed envelope with your application to a Passport Agency for processing.

If you apply for a lost passport replacement by mail, it will take up to 10 weeks to get your new passport. Expedited service for lost passport replacement by mail is available for an extra $60 government fee, which will have your passport back to you in 4-6 weeks. Much faster service is available if you either go in person to a Passport Agency or use a passport expediting company to process your lost passport replacement.

There are 26 Passport Agencies in the US, located in major cities. To visit one, make an appointment by calling the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778. Using a passport expediting company is an easier option. You won’t need to make any appointments and you can use a delivery service like UPS or Federal Express to send in your sealed envelope rather than visiting an office in person.


PASSPORTINFO.COM is not operated, maintained by, or affiliated with any passport offices or government agencies. It is a privately operated website portal for informational purposes only.