Passport Renewal FAQ

The expiration date will be printed on the first page of the passport, on the bottom right-hand side of your photo. It will be under the section, “Date of expiration,” but above the “Endorsements” title.

US adult passports are valid for 10 years from the date they are issued. It seems logical to assume that you should renew your passport two or three months before it expires. In fact, you may need to start the renewal process as early as eight months before your passport’s expiration date, depending on your destination.

As a general rule, passports should have at least six months of validity when traveling internationally. Most countries will not permit a traveler to enter their country unless the passport is set to expire at least six months after the final day of travel.

If your passport has expired, follow this link to renew it today!

The new passport will include a new, unique identifier. This is a common practice that keeps the passport updated and secure. The old passport and number will be invalidated and should not be used.

By looking at a passport number, you can tell where it was issued and possibly where it was applied for. For example, if your passport number starts with “01,” it was issued at the Washington Passport Agency. If it starts with “04”, it was issued in Miami, and so on. If it was issued at the National Passport Center in New Hampshire, it will start with a “15”, “20” or “21,” depending on when it was issued. Passports that start with the number “60” were issued with no fee to military dependents. “80” is the prefix for “official” passports, while diplomatic passports always start with “90.”

If you had to get your passport replaced at an embassy or consulate overseas, your passport number will begin with the letter “Z” or the number “70.” Both indicate that the passport, if issued after 2002, was issued as an emergency passport and is only valid for a year.

Yes, your previous passport will be marked canceled and returned to you. It may be returned to you in a separate envelope. When you receive the expired one, do not use it for any purpose. However, It is a good idea to keep your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship if absolutely necessary.

The most common reason for an application to be rejected is submitting a form with incomplete documents.Passport renewals may also be rejected if the application is not signed or if any required documents are missing.

Another common reason for rejection or suspension of a passport renewal request is that the photos do not meet the official guidelines. Photos must be high quality, printed on photo paper, and must measure 2” x 2”. They must have a white background and good lighting, and you should have a neutral facial expression. Do not wear hats or uniforms; you can wear glasses with clear lenses as long as there is no glare.

If the passport is in poor condition (such as having any torn pages or damage to the information page), or if it has been expired for more than five years, you will need to apply for a new passport instead of a renewal.

Yes, you may request a large book with 52 pages at no additional fee. Some countries require that your passport has two to four blank visa/stamp pages. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. As of January 1, 2016, you can no longer add pages to your existing US Passport. If you need additional pages you must apply for and obtain a new passport.

Children age 15 and younger cannot renew their passports and will need to go through the minor passport procedure to get a new passport. Children age 16 and older whose last passport was issued before their 16th birthday will need to do the new passport procedure to get their first adult passport.

If the passport renewal application is for a minor, both parents are required to participate in the process. If one parent is absent, then a consent form must be included with the application. Whether the absent parent is involved in the minor’s life or not, proof must be given to complete the application process. When a consent form is missing, the application will be denied. For a minor, the official birth certificate must be submitted.

If your US passport is expired or will expire within the next 6-7 months, now is the time to renew it! If your passport is expired, you have 5 years from the date of expiration to renew it without going through the new passport procedure.

You do not need to apply for a new one, but you do need to submit the form DS-82 with the expired passport. You cannot renew an expired one without it being included in the application.


PASSPORTINFO.COM is not operated, maintained by, or affiliated with any passport offices or government agencies. It is a privately operated website portal for informational purposes only.