Replace your stolen passport fast

Stolen Passport

Has your passport been stolen? You have come to the right place. Our guide will tell you everything you need to know about getting your stolen passport replaced.

If your passport has been stolen but you don’t want to apply for a new passport now, you still need to report the theft to the US State Department so that they can cancel the passport and make sure no one else can use it. You can report the theft by phone by calling the US State Department at 1-877-487-2778.

Get your Stolen Passport Expedited!
Click Here

To replace your stolen passport, carefully read the requirements below to get your passport replacement without delays.

Stolen Passport – Eligibility

You are eligible to replace your stolen passport if you can prove your US citizenship. It is useful to know the passport number and dates of issuance and expiry of the passport that was stolen, but you can still get a new one even if you don’t have this information. (We always recommend that you keep a photocopy of your passport somewhere safe, just in case it is ever lost or stolen.)

Step-by-Step Guide to Get your Stolen Passport Replaced

Gather all documents required to get a stolen passport replaced.

  • Proof of US Citizenship – This can be either:
    • Original or certified copy of your birth certificate showing birth in the US
    • An expired passport, so long as you are still similar in appearance to the photo on that passport
  • Passport Application Form DS-11, completed offline or can be filled out online at PPTForm and printed.
  • Passport Form DS-64, “Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport.”  This is created automatically as you fill out your passport application on PPTForm.  If you got paper copies of the forms and are filling them out by hand, you will need to fill this out in addition to the DS-11 Passport Application.
  • One passport photo
  • Photocopy of your driver’s license or other state-issued ID (front and back)
  • Proof of travel plans, such as a flight itinerary (only required if you request expedited service for stolen passport replacement)
  • Stolen passport replacement fee – You will need two checks, one made payable to “US Department of State” for $130 ($190 if you need expedited service for passport replacement) and a second check for $35 for the Passport Acceptance Agent fee.
  • As of December 27th, 2021 Passport Fees have gone up. Please see our updated content on how much a passport costs for the most up-to-date information.

Passport Acceptance Agent

You will need to visit a Passport Acceptance Agent to have your application reviewed and sealed into an official envelope. You can find agents at main branch US Post Offices and at Clerk of the Court offices – visit // to find one near you. Some agent locations may require an appointment for service.

Have your passport application processed in one of three ways:

  1. By Mail – You can have the Passport Acceptance Agent send in your sealed envelope with your stolen passport replacement application to be processed at the National Passport Center.
  2. At a Passport Agency – If you need expedited service for stolen passport replacement, you can make an appointment to appear in person at any US Passport Agency to have your stolen passport replaced.
  3. By a Passport Expediting Company – For fast and convenient processing, you can work with a reputable passport expediting company to have your stolen passport replaced. You will send them the sealed envelope with your application, and their agent will hand-carry it to a Passport Agency for processing.

How to Replace a Stolen Passport Fast

If you apply by mail for a stolen passport replacement, you can expect to wait up to 10 weeks to receive your passport. For an additional $60 government fee, you can request expedited service by mail, which will have your passport back to you in 4-6 weeks. It is much faster to either go in person to a Passport Agency or use a passport expediting company for your stolen passport replacement.

To visit one of the 26 Passport Agencies in the US you will need to make an appointment by calling the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778. If you want to avoid the hassle of making an appointment, driving into the city, and waiting for hours at a government office, you can use a passport expediting company. They are an easy and reliable option for anyone who needs the fastest expedited service for stolen passport replacement.


PASSPORTINFO.COM is not operated, maintained by, or affiliated with any passport offices or government agencies. It is a privately operated website portal for informational purposes only.