Damaged Passport FAQ

Your damaged passport will be replaced by a completely new passport. It will be valid for 10 years (if you are over age 16) and will have a different number than the damaged passport.

The passport expediting company can review scans or photos of your damaged passport and give you their expert opinion on whether it is badly damaged enough to require the mutilated passport replacement procedure we’ve described on this page. If you request an early renewal, the final determination will be made by the US State Department – if they decide the passport is too badly damaged to renew, your passport and application will be returned to you so that you can fill out a DS-11 form and go to a Passport Acceptance Agent to have your application sealed into an official envelope.

Yes, you can. Just collect all the pieces you have and put them in a clean ziploc bag for submission.


PASSPORTINFO.COM is not operated, maintained by, or affiliated with any passport offices or government agencies. It is a privately operated website portal for informational purposes only.