If your US passport is expired, or will expire within the next 6-7 months, now is the time to renew it! If your passport is expired, you have 5 years from the date of expiration to renew it without going through the new passport procedure. All the information you’ll need to renew your US passport is below, including eligibility, required documents and a step-by-step procedure for renewing a passport.
Click Here to Renew your Expired Passport!
Passport Renewal Eligibility
You can apply for a passport renewal for any one of these reasons:
- Your passport is expiring or has expired in the last 5 years.
- Your passport is low on blank visa pages.
- Your name has legally changed and your passport was issued more than one year ago.
- Your passport is showing signs of wear such as curled edges of pages.
- Your appearance has changed dramatically since your passport was issued, such as due to extreme weight loss.
Your passport must be in your possession, not damaged, and issued when you were 16 or older.
Procedure for Renewing a Passport
Gather all documents required to renew a US passport.
- Your current US passport
- Passport Renewal Application Form (DS-82), completed offline or filled out online at https://pptform.state.gov/ and printed.
- One passport photo
- Photocopy of your driver’s license or other state-issued ID (front and back)
- Flight itinerary or other proof of travel plans (only required if you need an expedited passport renewal)
- Proof of name change, if you have legally changed your name since your last passport was issued.
- Passport renewal fee – Check for $110 ($170 if you need expedited passport renewal) made payable to “US Department of State.”
Have your passport application processed in one of three ways:
- By Mail – You can mail in your US passport renewal to be processed at the National Passport Center.
- At a Passport Agency – If you are in a rush, you can visit US Passport Agencies located in major US cities, where your passport renewal will be processed on-site.
- By a Passport Expediting Company – If you need an expedited passport renewal, you can send your documents to a reputable passport expediting company, who will hand-carry your application to a Passport Agency to renew your passport fast.
How Long Does it Take to Renew a Passport?
Applying for a passport renewal by mail will take up to 8 weeks. Expedited passport renewals by mail costs an additional $60 in government fees and take 2-3 weeks to processed.
To renew your passport fast, you can either go to a Passport Agency in person or use the services of a passport expediting company. If you want to apply in person, you will need to call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 to make an appointment to go to one of the 26 Passport Agencies nationwide. Passport expediting companies can get you an expedited passport renewal in as little as 24 hours, without you having to make an appointment or appear in person.