US Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82
The government form you will need to complete when applying for a US passport renewal is called the DS-82. The DS-82 is a two-page form with a space for your photo and signature on the first page. When you complete the DS-82 application form for a passport renewal, you will need to include the following information:
- Your legal name, as listed on your current passport or legal name change document
- Any other legal names you have previously used, such as maiden names or previous married names
- Your Social Security Number
- Your height, hair color, and eye color
- Your residential address
- At least one contact phone number – may be your home, work, or mobile phone number
- The number and issue date of the passport you are renewing
- The name and address of someone who can be a contact in case of emergency
An important note: You cannot renew a passport by mail if it was significantly damaged, issued more than 15 years ago, or was issued to a person 15 years or younger. If your passport meets any of the descriptions above, you should apply using the Form DS-11 and not submitting Form DS-82.
Document Checklist – Requirements for Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82
- Your current US passport
- Passport Renewal Application Form (DS-82) filled out online at https://pptform.state.gov/, printed and signed.
- One passport photo
- Photocopy of your driver’s license or other state-issued ID (front and back)
- Flight itinerary or other proof of travel plans (only required if you need an expedited passport renewal)
- Proof of name change, if you have legally changed your name since your last passport was issued.
- Passport renewal fee – check for $110 ($170 if you need expedited passport renewal) made payable to “US Department of State.”
- Passport Card – $30
- Passport Cook and Card – $140
- Expedition Fee – $60
See if you’re eligible to Renew by Mail. It’s the simplest way to get your new passport!
Get Your Passport Renewal Expedited in 24 Hours
You can renew using our expedited service to rush the Form DS-82 if your most recent passport meets all five of these requirements:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)
To find out where your nearest Passport Office is to apply in person, visit our Passport Office Locations.
Ready to get your passport now? The fastest way to get a passport is to use our expedited passport processing service. This is the best option if you need to get your passport fast. Passports can be received in two weeks or less through our service, even as fast as 24 hours. By contrast, standard processing is significantly slower and takes an average of 4 to 6 weeks to complete.
Passport Renewal Application FAQ
Yes, you may request a large 52-page book on your passport renewal application. There is no additional fee for the larger book. However, the large books are issued only at State Department discretion and may not always be available, so sometimes a standard 28 page book is issued when a 52 page book was requested.
List the current color of your hair, as shown in the passport photo you are submitting with your passport renewal application.
The travel plans section is optional if you are requesting standard processing by mail. If you need expedited service for your passport renewal, you will need to list an upcoming trip in this section.
No, this section is only for previous legal names, such as a maiden name or previous married name. Do not list any nicknames, pen names, religious names, etc.
More Questions? Explore our Frequently Asked Questions about your Passport on the sidebar.