Form DS-11 and DS-82: Applications for Damaged Passport

The government form you will need to complete when applying to replace your damaged US passport is called the DS-11. This is the same form that first time applicants complete to get a new passport. The DS-11 is a two page form with a space for your photo and signature on the first page. When you complete this application to replace a damaged passport, you will need to include the following information:

You can Renew or Replace your Damaged or Mutilated Passport in ONE day

  • Your legal name, as listed on your birth certificate or legal name change document
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your height, hair color, and eye color
  • Your parents’ full names, birth dates, and places of birth
  • Your residential address
  • At least one contact phone number – may be your home, work, or mobile phone number
  • The name and address of someone who can be a contact in case of emergency
  • The number and date of issue of the damaged passport

Please Note: If you are requesting an early passport renewal due to minor damage or wear on your passport, you will need to fill out Form DS-82 instead. See our Passport Renewal Application page for details.

Document Checklist – Requirements for DS-11 Application Form for a Damaged Passport

Replace your Damaged Passport

  • Proof of US Citizenship – This can be either a birth certificate (must be an original or certified copy) or an expired passport. Please note that if your appearance has changed significantly, an expired passport may not be accepted as proof of citizenship.
  • Passport Application Form (DS-11)
  • A letter addressed to “US Department of State” that explains how your passport came to be damaged. This letter must have your original signature in blue or black ink.
  • One new passport photo
  • Photocopy of your driver’s license or other state-issued ID (front and back)
  • Flight itinerary or other proof of travel plans (only required if you need to expedite damaged passport replacement)
  • Damaged passport replacement fee – You will need two checks, one made payable to “US Department of State” for $110 ($170 if you need expedited service for passport replacement) and a second check for $25 for the Passport Acceptance Agent fee.
  • As of April 2nd, 2018 Passport Fees have gone up. Please see our updated content on how much a passport costs for the most up to date information.

Complete Your Damaged Passport Application

To print and complete by hand
Download DS-11 Form
Fill out your DS-11 application Online

Do not sign your application until instructed to do so by the Passport Acceptance Agent!

How to Replace a Damaged Passport Fast

Processing times for passport replacement applications are:

Replace your damaged US passport in 24 hours

Common Questions

Damaged Passport Application FAQ

When asked for the number of your damaged passport, fill in “000000000” (nine zeros).


PASSPORTINFO.COM is not operated, maintained by, or affiliated with any passport offices or government agencies. It is a privately operated website portal for informational purposes only.