Passport Name Change Application Form DS-5504

The government form you will need to complete when applying for a name change on a passport issued less than one year ago is called the DS-5504. The Passport Name Change Application is the same form that is used for corrections to passports that have printing errors. The DS-5504 is a two page form with a space for your photo and signature on the first page. When you complete this application form for a passport renewal, you will need to include the following information:

Passport Name Changes processed in 24 Hours

  • Your legal name, as listed on your current passport
  • Your current legal name, as listed on your legal name change document (marriage certificate, court order, etc.)
  • Any other legal names you have previously used, such as maiden names or previous married names
  • The number and issue date of your current passport
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your height, hair color, and eye color
  • Your residential address
  • At least one contact phone number – may be your home, work, or mobile phone number
  • The name and address of someone who can be a contact in case of emergency

Please note – if you need to change the name on a passport issued more than one year ago, you will need to go through the passport renewal process and fill out Form DS-82. See our Passport Renewal Application page for more information.

Document Checklist – Requirements for Name Change Application Form DS-5504

Change the name in your passport

  • Your current US passport
  • Passport Name Change Application Form DS-5504
  • One new passport photo – This must be a different photo than the one on your current passport.
  • Photocopy of your driver’s license or other state-issued ID (front and back), showing your new name
  • Flight itinerary or other proof of travel plans (only required if you need expedited service for passport name change)
  • Proof of Name Change – submit the original or a certified copy of the legal document showing your name change (court order, marriage certificate, or divorce decree)
  • Fees for Passport Name Change – If your passport was issued less than one year ago, there is no government fee unless you need expedited service ($60 government fee for expedited passport service for name change)

Complete Your Name Change Application

To print and complete by hand
Download DS-5504 Form
Fill out DS-5504 Form online

How to Get a Passport Name Change Fast

Processing times for passport name change applications are:

Click here to expedite your passport name change same day

Common Questions

Name Change Application FAQ

List your current legal name, as shown on your name change document. The only places you need to fill in your previous name as printed in your passport are:

  • The section that asks about your current passport
  • The question that asks to list all your previous legal names

You do not need to list any travel plans unless you are requesting expedited service.

If your passport book and passport card were both issued less than one year ago, you can use just one copy of application form DS-5504 to request that your name be changed on both the book and the card.


PASSPORTINFO.COM is not operated, maintained by, or affiliated with any passport offices or government agencies. It is a privately operated website portal for informational purposes only.