Washington Passport Agency
The Washington Passport Agency, located in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, DC, offers expedited passport services to US citizens with urgent international departures or life-or-death emergencies that require travel abroad. Travelers must make an appointment in advance to submit their application in person.
The Washington Passport Agency is also home to the Special Issuance Agency. The Special Issuance Agency is the only passport office in the United States that issues Diplomatic and Official passports. (See our Passport Books page for more information on these special passports.) The Special Issuance Agency is not open to the general public and does not issue Personal passports (ordinary/tourist passports). In order to visit the Special Issuance Agency to apply for a Diplomatic or Official government passport, you must have a referral from a Federal Government agency or branch of the US Military.
Location, Public Transportation, and Parking
600 19th Street, N.W.
First Floor, Sidewalk Level
Washington, DC 20006
The Washington Passport Agency is accessible by Metro subway. The closest Metro stops are Farragut North (Red Line) and Farragut West (Blue and Orange Lines).
Limited metered street parking is available near the Washington Passport Agency. Paid parking garages are also located nearby on G St NW and 18th St NW.
Making an Appointment at This Agency
Call 877-487-2778 to make an appointment to visit the Washington Passport Agency. You will need to have proof that you are departing the US within 2 weeks (or 4 weeks if you also need to acquire a travel visa) in order to obtain an appointment at this agency.
Appointments are available during the following office hours:
On the Day of Your Appointment
- Arrive early to go through the security screening.
- Appointment Confirmation Number
- Valid identification
- Completed passport application form and supporting documents
- Means of payment – checkbook, major credit card, or cash or money order for the exact amount of your government fee
- Check in at the Information Desk, receive a number, and then have a seat and wait for your number to be called.
Processing Times at This Location
- Travelers with departures within 8 business days or life-or-death emergencies: the passport agent will advise when your completed passport will be ready for pickup at the agency.
- All other travelers: completed passports will be sent in approximately 8 business days.